Why is the research taking place?
CHAWREC works with BME communities across Cheshire, Halton and Warrington. In the course of our work, we had received anecdotal evidence about BME young people experiencing racism in school, which staff have sometimes lacked confidence in dealing with. We wanted to understand the true extent of these issues in order to discover how racism operates in our schools and how we can help staff to improve their levels of confidence in tackling it.
The research aims to:
- Investigate the levels and nature of racism in Cheshire, Halton and Warrington secondary schools
- Gather examples of good practice in tackling racism and delivering anti-racist education
- Understand how and why schools might face challenges in understanding and dealing with racism and delivering effective anti-racist education
We will use the research to:
- Improve knowledge in Cheshire, Halton and Warrington secondary schools about the levels and nature of racism within them
- Provide support and resources to enable these schools to adopt new ways of tackling racism
- Enable school staff to increase their confidence in dealing with racism and providing anti-racist education